8 Effective Aromatherapy Oils
ALTERNATIVE THERAPY for DEMENTIA
EIGHT EFFECTIVE AROMATHERAPY OILS
Aromatherapy is becoming an effective and accepted treatment for the symptoms of dementia including Alzheimer’s disease. Here are eight essential aromatherapy oils that have received a substantial amount of attention by the scientific community for the benefit they bring to people with dementia:
- Lavender – One of the most studied oils for its benefit for dementia, lavender eases anxiety and helps with anger, irritability, and depression. Use this essential oil in the evening to promote sleep.
- Lemon Balm – (Melissa officinalis) helps to calm and relax. It is helpful to those suffering from anxiety and insomnia. Melissa is probably the most studied of the essential oils for its benefit for people with AD, and it is very likely one of the most effective.
- Peppermint – Used to both stimulate the mind and calm the nerves. It is said to rectify absent-mindedness; and studies show it improves memory. Use it the morning to energize the patient and stimulate appetite.
- Rosemary – Stimulating and uplifting. A recent study reported that exposure to rosemary oil improves cognitive performance and mood.
- Bergamot – Mood elevating, calming, and balancing. Relieves stress, anxiety, and mild depression. Refreshes. Relieves insomnia.
- Ylang Ylang – This oil can be relaxing and stress relieving, and it promotes good sleep.
- Frankincense – This oil is relaxing and stress relieving. It is known to improve learning and memory by increasing nerve connections in the hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for creating memories.
- Lemon – Lemon essential oil is typically used to ease stress, and fight fatigue and insomnia. One study found lemon oil in the morning in conjunction with rosemary oil improved cognitive functioning in patients with AD.
There is considerable evidence that these essential oils have a positive, therapeutic effect for people with dementia, and those with Alzheimer's in particular. Behavioral symptoms are eased by all the above oils; additionally, lemon balm, rosemary and peppermint have actually improved memory and cognitive functioning in trials.
Call 877/300.3021 if you are looking for an oil not in our store, or if you need more information.
For more information about aromatherapy for Alzheimer's disease, see our aromatherapy page.